Error Message

Topics related to using ToolBook for building web apps.

Error Message

Postby Robert Stevenson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:01 am

I am using the new "card" feature in my flipped classroom videos (You-Tube) to link to related educational content (Toolbook generated studyguides, practice quizzes) on my associated website. The link works great if I simply link to it from a new tab but when I use the link on the card that shows up on the video I get the following error message that I would love to have a solution to.

The page at www.science-ed.com says:
The following error has occurred:
Uncaught securityerror:Blocked a frame with origin "http://www.science-ed.com" from accessing a cross origin frame. (line number 673)

To see the actual error message click the card ("i") in the following video

https://youtu.be/brg77g-A7l4
Robert Stevenson

Re: Error Message

Postby Clifton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:24 pm

When I click the card, the page that appears is using a launch page style. This probably is not friendly to a link from YouTube because the page that opens is using the YouTube page as its parent page or "opener". This likely causes a cross-domain security violation between the windows.

I would try and make this content launch WITHOUT a launch page and see if that helps.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:13 pm

I seem to recall years back you having a resource that nicely outlined how to do this. Is it still available?
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:16 pm

During export, just make sure to select Do not use an HTML launch page

Image 1.png
Export options: Do not use launch page
Image 1.png (25.76 KiB) Viewed 7027 times
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Thanks. I will give it a try. Someday I would like to explore the merits/demerits of all of these options. If you know of a resource ...
Robert Stevenson

Postby Robert Stevenson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Alas ... I pointed it to the new export at http://www.science-ed.com/Sc10/Ch6/sc10 ... index.html and got the same error message. There has to be a way ... I just haven't found it yet.
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 pm

The error could also be related to the export trying to initialize LMS SCORM communication with the parent or "calling" window. You might try making a single page without any LMS options.

The point is that the content is trying to speak to the YouTube window. This is a security violation because cross-domain windows generally cannot communicate unless expressly set up to do so AND the respective servers have to permit the communication. So the error message your are getting it telling you your content is trying to initialize some protocol with the window that opened the content (the parent). Since that window refuses the communication, the error is thrown.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Makes sense. I wasn't aware in the export options that I had a selection that demanded an LMS option. I'll take another look.
Robert Stevenson

Postby Robert Stevenson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:34 am

Hmmmm ... I can't imagine why it makes any difference but turning off the LMS export option has resulted in a Toolbook crash on every attempt.
Robert Stevenson

Return to Web (DHTML) Development