The score showing in my Moodle gradebook isn't the score tha

Topics related to using ToolBook for building web apps.

Re: The score showing in my Moodle gradebook isn't the score

Postby Clifton » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Can you provide real world example as to the score reported by ToolBook versus the one that shows up in Moodle?
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Not sure what you mean by this? A copy of an actual book (there are many)? The certificate will say 67% but the LMS will say 95% because it doesn't take into account the fact that I was awarding 3 points for some correct answers and taking 5 off the score total for some incorrect ones.
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:00 pm

So if that is the case, then it seems you may need to play around with the weights that can be assigned to answers in the extended properties for the question object.
Image 1.png
Question weighting
Image 1.png (41.16 KiB) Viewed 8109 times
It seems that your quizzes are pretty complex in how they score, but ToolBook does permit complexity. It may take some trial and error using a one page book (to save time in getting it right). Once you get ToolBook's system to correlate with your own, then the score in ToolBook should match the expected result and Moodle will get the correct value.

Most developer's just use a score setup like shown above. But you can make each answer to a question have it's own weight if you want.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Hmmm ... this sounds so VERY different than what you were suggesting in the earlier posts where I turn off the scoring and just use my own variable as in the script for the question object, below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actions for Fill in the Blank Question "Fill in the Blank" of Page id 23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- On question answered... -----------------------------------------------------
Define local variable "currentquestionscore" (Initial value: 0)

Score Self
If currentquestionscore > 0
Set student_score to student_score + 1.0
Set text of Field "score" of This Background to student_score
Else
If currentquestionscore <= 0
Set student_score to student_score - 10.0
Set text of Field "score" of This Background to student_score
End if
End if

I then put this "student_score" into the certificate. My hope is that there is way to put this same variable into the Moodle gradebook.
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:15 am

Regardless of how you track your score variable, you will need to ensure that ToolBook and your score variable are the same WHEN the course exits. As far as I know, you cannot overwrite the score reported by ToolBook to the LMS. So to get this to work, you need to have only ONE scored M/C question (usually hidden) on the last page. Then trigger this object until the score value represents exactly the same value as your tracked score variable that you have been incrementing as the quiz was in process. You may or may not have to use the weight of individual items in the hidden M/C question to get this to always correlate.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Sounds promising but let's just say hypothetically that the student scores 65% using my scoring variable as he enters the certificate page. Can you suggest how you could trigger a question object to fire that same score value?
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:50 pm

On the last page you would put a M/C question object with the same number of choices as the largest value of your variable. Then when the summary page is reached, you trigger the number of choices in the M/C object to correspond with your score variable.

Example:
Maximum score variable for 100% = 20.
M/C question object on last page should be built with 20 choices. Question is set to be scored and 100% is achieved on if all choices are checked.
Student scores 14 ... trigger 14 choices of the 20 and your book will always report the same score in Moodle as your tracking variable. In this case the book will report 70% to Moodle which is exactly the same as your internal variable.

This is the basic method that this thread has been discussing right along, though the exact requirements of your project may not have been clear. I've done in many projects to ensure predictable results and to permit building other question types which are not in the catalog.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:11 pm

I guess the difference is that in the previous posts we were dealing with a situation where the student only arrived at the last page (the certificate page with the question object that I needed to trigger) if they had 20 questions correct in a row. Now, I have to take that internal scoring variable and trigger the mc question object to match. I can't say I have ever done such a thing but it does, indeed sound workable. I will have to play and see what that might look like as I don't recall any logic built in to the widget that allows me to trigger say 14/20.
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:35 pm

Here is a working example with which you can interact with:

In your real-world application:
  • The M/C Question group would be hidden.
  • The M/C Question group would contain choices that correspond to the maximum value of your user tracking score variable. If the maximum is reached, then all choices are triggered and the score will be 100%.
  • The value in the simulate field represents the value of your user tracking score variable. Your value, of course, would be set as the student traverses the quiz.
  • On load page you would trigger the M/C Question group and then have all your actions reside right there. That way you can copy this object to other lessons and it should just work out-of-the-box as long as the score variable uses the same nomenclature.
  • Moodle will be sent the score value shown in the example and will always reflect the score generated by your tracking variable.
Duplicating this behavior does require the use of PowerPac functions since they can dynamically determine the number of objects in your question widgets at runtime. They can also dynamically find and trigger objects on-the-fly via object collection.

For a nominal fee I would be glad to release the code for this so that it is guaranteed to work for you. You would have the advantage of examining the actions and functions used and benefit in other ways as well. Please contact me off list at [email protected]
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 pm

You are an angel!
Robert Stevenson

Previous

Return to Web (DHTML) Development