playing an .mp4?

Topics related to using ToolBook for building web apps.

Re: playing an .mp4?

Postby Clifton » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Received your file. It works for me as expected.
The message that appears for you on the video container indicates the following and prompts some of these conclusions:
  1. The system is able to target the container "movie" and attempt to load the video into it.
  2. The browser video sub-system fails to play the video and is alerting you to this fact.
  3. It is possible that the file Movie1.mp4" is not actually in the location that you expect in the export tree.
  4. It is also possible that the video is not in a format your browser can play. Sometimes re-encoding the video using a program like Handbrake can make the video playable.
  5. It is also possible that everything on your computer is set up fine, but the export does not play the video because it requires a server to be sending the video stream. If that is true, then turning on the "Web Server" in the "Preview" page of the export process and then opening the export should display the video.
  6. Please note that a browser may refuse to play an mp4 unless the user has had some previous interaction with the web page. Therefore, loading a video on load page for the first page of an export may not always work, especially if it contains audio and video feeds (which is the case with your video).
  7. Trying a different video is sometimes another way to troubleshoot your setup versus the failure of single file (mp4).
I can't really troubleshoot this further unless I actually review the tbk itself.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Did you ever have a chance to look at the video?
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Yes, I did and it played fine for me. However, because the video contained audio and video feeds, I had to play it as a result of user interaction (e.g.: button click) instead of on page load. However, in a course where this is not on the first page, it should play fine because the user has already interacted with the course by the time the video-containing page would have loaded.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Ahhhh ... but it IS on the first page ... I was hoping to use it as a "splash page" of vocabulary that is assessed in the module. How might I make that happen?
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:14 pm

You might be able to get this to work by removing the audio stream from the mp4. A video only may play on page load, but you will have to experiment.

To remove the audio stream, you will have to re-encode the video with the audio channel. Using a free program like handbrake is very reliable.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Alas ... audio stream removed ... still not working. This one is causing me grief.
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 pm

Please send the TBK so I can examine what you have for this. You can strip out all pages except the one with the video on it.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Clifton » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:38 am

The main issue I found with your TBK was the path specification.
Change "./Movie1.mp4"
To "../videos/Movie1.mp4"
After I made that change, the video played fine in the export.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:21 am

For a second my hopes were up but unfortunately for me I still get the same result. So weird ... path exactly as written ..."../videos/Movie1.mp4""
I will continue to play. Thank you so much for your help!
Robert Stevenson

Postby Robert Stevenson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:36 am

Could you possibly send me the video you are using? I used Camtasia Studios to "silence" the audio and re-exported to remove the sound track but I am not certain that "silencing" is quite the same thing as "removing"
Robert Stevenson

PreviousNext

Return to Web (DHTML) Development