Error Message

Topics related to using ToolBook for building web apps.

Error Message

Postby Robert Stevenson » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:51 am

I seem to have more time these days to take a look at old projects that in the middle of normal school terms I had just put aside for moments such as this. In this case was a randomized quiz that on export and run from the Moodle server I had set aside due to the grief it was causing me. Student answers a fill in the blank question and the following error message is generated.

padunamis.net says:
The following error has occurred.
UncaughtType error: Cannot read property "openstate" of undefined (linenumber588)

Any wisdom that you might be able to offer would be much appreciated.
Robert Stevenson

Re: Error Message

Postby Clifton » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:32 am

Few questions may help with troubleshooting:
  1. Does this only happen when running course from Moodle?
  2. Does the previous version of the course exhibit the same behavior?
  3. Have you added any custom JavaScript code to the course?
  4. Does the error occur when the course opens or does it only happen on a single page?
The error message is telling you that the course tried to access a property (or variable) called "openstate" and the process failed because the property is undefined. This is a common JavaScript error and because it also is revealing a line number (588) it should be traceable. If it said line number 1, then the error is much harder to trace. But in your case the browser is telling you exactly where it stumbled on the code. While it is not telling you the file name, knowing the line number is still helpful.

The property "openstate" is not referenced in any of the PowerPac files so this error does not seem to originate with anything in the PowerPac.

If you have version updated the course from an older ToolBook file, that may be a factor to consider, especially if the error occurs on only one page. (BTW: A single page error is the easiest type of error to track down and to fix.)

Clifton
Site Admin

Re: Error Message

Postby Robert Stevenson » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:46 am

As usual you gave me a place to start … thanks.
Robert Stevenson

Return to Web (DHTML) Development