Error Message on launching web content

Topics related to using ToolBook for building web apps.

Error Message on launching web content

Postby Robert Stevenson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:52 pm

Young lady with a nice new Windows 9 surface can't seem to launch any of my content in IE. I have played with the usual IE settings (allowing pop-ups, etc) but can't seem to find what is causing my PowerPac enabled content not to work. The error message from the webpage is "unable to get property "stop" of undefined or null reference (line number 634)
Robert Stevenson

Re: Error Message on launching web content

Postby Clifton » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:30 pm

I assume the content was created with "Enable IE HTML 5 Display" turned on (or checked) in the PowerPac menu. Newer versions of IE may begin to have trouble with quirks mode content created in ToolBook v9.01.

Can you zip up the problem content and send it to me?
Send it to:
[email protected]

Also, have the person visit http://www.pgsoftwaretools.com. Please let me know if she can view the site on her device.

From there, we may be able to troubleshoot this and see what may be happening.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:07 pm

I am hoping it is simply a setting on her tablet but I will send it your way. If memory serves, you already worked on it (Science Safety) when you put together the widget to keep students from changing scores. I will have her check the link when she is back in class on Monday (or if I can find her email address).
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 pm

I can't seem to trigger an issue with your exported content. However, I am unable to test it in exactly the same environment as the one which you have described in your post.

But I think the problem in your course MAY be the use of a prompt for the user to enter their name. Try rebuilding your opening page to use a different method for getting the user's name. Several web forums seem to indicate the prompt() method is no longer reliably supported in IE for security reasons.

Alternatives:
  1. You could use an input field and save the result.
  2. You can use PowerPac's subModal() and open a modal dialog window that asks for the user's name. I've done that in a number of projects.
  3. Or you can try a variant of the method discussed in this thread:
    http://www.pgsoftwaretools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68
(Of course, if removing the prompt doesn't fix the problem, then something else may be causing the issue. Please let us know if you suspect another issue.)
Clifton
Site Admin

Return to Web (DHTML) Development